Scriptures About the Prophet
Prophets can be a bit of a mystery.
One thing is sure: We need prophets. God has set them among us to protect, watch, release miracles, confirm and impart gifts, engage culture, uproot, plant, tear down, and build—all through speaking out God’s message to His people, at His direction.
You have a part to play in helping the prophetic word come to pass. (See How to Respond to a Prophecy.) As you prepare your heart to do so, here are some scriptures about the prophet you can study. As you seek the Lord, ask Him to help you learn about the ministry of the prophet.
All scriptures taken from the Modern English Version, unless otherwise noted.
• “God has put these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, and various tongues.” –1 Corinthians 12:28
• “The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.” –1 Corinthians 14:32
• “Go and proclaim these words to the north, and say: Return, backsliding Israel, says the LORD, and I will not cause My anger to fall on you. For I am merciful, says the LORD, and I will not keep anger forever.” –Jeremiah 3:12
• “Cry aloud, do not hold back; lift up your voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression and the house of Jacob their sins.” –Isaiah 58:1
• “And they took offense at Him. But Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.’” –Matthew 13:57
• “And the king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, ‘There is still one man, Micaiah the son of Imlah, by whom we can inquire of the LORD. But I hate him because he never prophesies good for me, but always evil.’ And Jehoshaphat said, ‘Let not the king say so.’” –1 Kings 22:8
• “God’s marvelous grace imparts to each one of us varying gifts and ministries that are uniquely ours. So if God has given you the grace-gift of prophecy, you must activate your gift by using the proportion of faith you have to prophesy.” –Romans 12:6 (TPT)
• “Moses said to him, ‘Are you jealous for my sake? Oh, that all the people of the Lord were prophets, and that the LORD would put His spirit upon them!’” –Numbers 11:29
• “And when Asa heard these words of the prophecy of Azariah son of Oded the prophet, he was encouraged and removed the detestable idols from the entire land of Judah and Benjamin and from the cities that he captured in the hills of Ephraim. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was before the vestibule of the Lord.” –2 Chronicles 15:8
• “My brothers, take the prophets, who spoke in the name of the Lord, as an example of suffering and patience.” –James 5:10
• “But if all prophesy [giving inspired testimony and interpreting the divine will and purpose] and an unbeliever or untaught outsider comes in, he is told of his sin and reproved and convicted and convinced by all, and his defects and needs are examined (estimated, determined) and he is called to account by all.” –1 Corinthians 14:24 (AMPC )
• “You hypocrites, Isaiah well prophesied of you.” –Matthew 15:7
• “Do not touch my anointed ones, and do no harm to my prophets.” –Psalm 105:15
• “See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.” –Isaiah 42:9
• “He who speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself, but he who prophecies edifies the church.” –1 Corinthians 14:4
• “Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. If anything is revealed to another that sits by, let the first keep silent. For you may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.” –1 Corinthians 14:29-32
• “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds.” –2 Corinthians 10:4
While this is just a small sampling of scriptures about the prophet, as you read the Word each day, zero in on every verse that mentions the prophetic. Ask the Lord to show you how you can be part of receiving and furthering prophetic words uttered by Him through His chosen vessels. Your faith is needed to propel His will forward!
Watch Gloria Copeland and Billye Brim talk about prophecies in the Psalms.