If your heart is longing to find that special someone to talk with, dream with and enjoy life with, you may be on the brink of discouragement. Maybe you’ve even fallen into the trap of praying, waiting, feeling lonely and discouraged, then repeating the process all over again. You may even be wondering…
Can I find the right husband or wife and live happily ever after? Absolutely. Here’s where to start.
- Become the Right Husband or Wife First. God’s commands about relationships are pretty simple: Think about others far more than we think about ourselves. Just like any other relationship, the quality of your marriage has a lot to do with…YOU. Here are some ways to prepare to be a good spouse:
- Find books or other resources that teach you how to love a spouse.
- There are specific needs that wives have that are different than a husband’s and vice versa. Find out what they are and start practicing!
- Meet with one or two successful couples who have been married happily for a long time. Ask them what you need to know and how you can best prepare your heart.
Then, work to put what you learn into practice.
- Make Spiritual Growth Your Top Priority. It is God’s will for you to find a husband or wife (Genesis 2:18). That means you can count on it. Like anything else, though, your relationship with God is key. When you seek God first (Matthew 6:33), all these things—spouse included—will be added to your life.
- Resist the Urge To Rush the Process. Rushing into any situation ahead of God will never bring about the results He has in mind for us. So, don’t rush the process when looking for a husband or wife.
- Look for Good Character. Aside from a peace in your heart from the Holy Spirit, there are some character traits the Bible tells us to look for:
1. A Christian should marry a Christian, not an unbeliever (2 Corinthians 6:14).
2. The right husband or wife will not get angry easily (Proverbs 22:24).
3. The right spouse will be patient, kind and not easily offended (1 Corinthians 13:4-8).
We’re believing with you for the spouse God has in mind for you!