Life & Work: Believe
25 Scriptures About Laughter and Joy
If you’ve been caught in a season of disappointment or struggles, maybe you’ve lost your joy, and as a result, laughter is a rare occurrence.
You’ve likely heard the old adage that laughter is the best medicine. That happens to come from the Bible! Proverbs 17:22 is true—a merry heart really does a spirit, soul and body good like medicine.
There are spiritual, emotional and physical benefits of joy and laughter. Science has proven why the Bible tells us to laugh—it’s good for our health! Laughter reduces stress, fights against depression and sorrow, fosters a positive outlook on life, and puts you in an all-around good mood. Laughter also lowers blood pressure, and impacts the cells in your body, preventing disease and setting you up to live long and strong.
If you don’t laugh enough (that means every day!), or if you need to restore the joy in your life, begin today by renewing your mind with these 25 scriptures about joy and laughter.
Note: All scriptures are referenced in the New Living Translation of the Bible.
- Genesis 21:6: “And Sarah declared, ‘God has brought me laughter. All who hear about this will laugh with me.’”
- Job 8:21: “He will once again fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.”
- Psalm 2:4: “But the one who rules in heaven laughs.”
- Psalm 30:11: “You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy.”
- Psalm 37:13: “But the Lord just laughs, for he sees their day of judgment coming.”
- Psalm 42:5: “Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again.”
- Psalm 65:12-13: “The grasslands of the wilderness become a lush pasture, and the hillsides blossom with joy. The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep, and the valleys are carpeted with grain. They all shout and sing for joy!”
- Psalm 96:12: “Let the fields and their crops burst out with joy! Let the trees of the forest sing for joy.”
- Psalm 98:4: “Shout to the Lord, all the earth; break out in praise and sing for joy!”
- Psalm 126:2: “We were filled with laughter, and we sang for joy. And the other nations said, ‘What amazing things the Lord has done for them.’”
- Proverbs 15:13: “A glad heart makes a happy face; a broken heart crushes the spirit.”
- Proverbs 15:15: “For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast.”
- Proverbs 17:22: “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.”
- Proverbs 31:25: “She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.”
- Ecclesiastes 3:4: “A time to cry and a time to laugh.”
- Ecclesiastes 8:15: “So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life. That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun.”
- Isaiah 55:12: “You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees of the field will clap their hands!”
- Jeremiah 31:13: “The young women will dance for joy, and the men—old and young—will join in the celebration. I will turn their mourning into joy. I will comfort them and exchange their sorrow for rejoicing.”
- Matthew 2:10: “When they saw the star, they were filled with joy!”
- Luke 1:14: “You will have great joy and gladness.”
- Luke 2:10: “But the angel reassured them. ‘Don’t be afraid!’ he said. ‘I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people.’”
- Luke 6:21: “God blesses you who are hungry now, for you will be satisfied. God blesses you who weep now for in due time you will laugh.”
- John 15:11: “I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!”
- 1 Peter 1:8: “You love him even though you have never seen him. Though you do not see him now, you trust him; and you rejoice with a glorious, inexpressible joy.”
- 1 Peter 4:13: “Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world.”
When you renew your mind to the power of laughter with these 25 scriptures about joy and laughter, you will begin to see the importance of incorporating laughter into your day. Find something funny to laugh about today. Don’t wait for it to happen to you accidentally. Laugh on purpose, and change the course of your life!
Watch Mark Hankins teach you how joy and laughter will turn things around in your life.