So, you’ve decided to make a vision board. Good thinking! God’s Word is clear: Where there is no clear vision, people wander astray (Proverbs 29:18). Plus, visualization is something Olympic athletes and award-winning actors have used to achieve success for years. Now, you can do the same in your own life.
Your vision board will help you set goals (we usually think too small!) and see yourself living out your dreams. God never has small plans for His people, and we don’t want to get caught one day in heaven having to watch a movie of what our lives were supposed to look like. (No thank you!)
So, follow this vision board supply checklist to get started, and let’s get dreaming!
Brainstorm your dreams, visions, goals.
Write them down in a journal or notebook.
Collect pictures, objects and words to represent each goal. (Check out Pinterest for vision board layouts.)
- You can use words to represent a goal, such as Debt Free, and you can also include inspiring words like Courage or Faith.
Hit a craft store, like Hobby Lobby, to gather supplies. The following are some suggestions:
- A corkboard, pushpin board or poster board as the main frame for your work
- Magazines to find images or wording to cut out
- Double-sided tape
- Glue sticks
- Decorative letters, ribbons or other items (if desired)
- Images printed from the internet
- A picture of yourself within the goals
- Anything else to help you bring your goals to life.
Add embellishments, if you like, to decorate and personalize your board. Make it something you want to look at every day!
Hang it where you’ll see it daily. Keep it in a private place, if you like. Some suggestions include:
- On a desk
- In a planner
- On the inside of a cabinet
- Under a car visor
- On a wall
- On a nightstand.
As you create your board, work to keep it neat and simple, rather than allowing it to get cluttered or chaotic. Your goals should bring feelings of excitement and joy, not chaos.
Be sure to take time to review your board every day—particularly when you wake up and before you go to bed. See yourself living out your dreams and goals. Pray over them, speak them out loud, and thank God for helping you accomplish them.