Life & Work: Apply
16 Ways to Become an Involved Christian Citizen
“You are the salt of the earth…. You are the light of the world” (Matthew 5:13-14, NIV). In these verses, Jesus isn’t talking just to Christians collectively; He’s talking to each of us individually. He’s calling you personally to “let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (verse 16).
Have you ever wondered how you can really be “salt and light” in the world? A big part of that call is to live a life that is separated from the world—something that looks much different than how everyone else lives. But the “good deeds” He is referring to include the way we serve others in our community, as well.
Maybe you have a genuine desire to be salt and light, but don’t know where to start. Here is something you must remember: You don’t have to be on television to make a difference. You don’t have to be a billionaire to change the world. You don’t have to be famous to change a life. You just need a heart that follows Jesus because a heart after His is one that loves others with great fervor.
Here are 16 ways you become an involved citizen and make a difference in your community, your nation and your world.
- Feed the Hungry. Get involved with a local food bank, serve at a soup kitchen, or start an outreach at your home church. Jesus always started by meeting needs before He taught the people about God.
- Adopt a Child. There are so many children in foster care without homes or godly guidance. Prayerfully consider opening your home to a child and being the hands and feet of Jesus in their world.
- Build a Bridge. Invite someone who doesn’t look like you into your home for a meal. When we take time to break bread with those who are from other races, cultures or backgrounds, we build a bridge to unity so greatly needed in this nation.
- Join a Pro-Life Prayer Walk. Contact your state pro-life coalition to learn more about short-term or long-term volunteer work, including prayer walking outside abortion clinics.
- Become a Pro-Life Sidewalk Counselor. Thousands of babies are saved each year from abortion due to precious volunteers who learn to offer compassionate counseling right outside abortion clinics.
- Volunteer at a Pregnancy Resource Center. Contact your local center to learn more about short- or long-term volunteer opportunities. Saving babies is a rewarding way to serve!
- Register to vote. The Christian vote is changing the tide of the nation, but we must unite together to see lasting change. Stand up and be counted! Follow the Word of God into the voting booth, and bring biblical values back to our nation.
- Consider Running for Office. We need more godly, Bible-believing Christians in public office who will stand for biblical values in every area of government. Will you be one of these who serves? Consider running for the school board, city council, mayor or any other local office. We need people like you!
- Attend School Board or City Council Meetings. If you don’t feel God leading you to run for office, you can have an impact simply by attending these meetings and speaking up! Many important decisions that affect life in your community and schools are made here. These are usually open to the public.
- Donate Your Services. There are many local ministries, pro-life organizations, grassroots Christian political groups and others who could benefit from your professional expertise. Consider donating your services, either short-term or long-term.
- Prayer Walk in Your Community. The power of prayer can break strongholds, provide Psalm 91 protection, and loose the Holy Spirit over schools, government offices and neighborhoods. Find a place that needs it most, and prayer walk in your community.
- Be Active at Your Child’s School. Shine a light in your children’s schools by volunteering your time and taking the opportunity to show the love of God to teachers, administrators, students and other parents. Be a voice about curriculum choices and religious freedoms, as well.
- Bless Your Children’s Teachers. Take the opportunity to stand out among other parents. Send a note of thanks, a gift card or a token of appreciation to those who are educating your children. Consider providing breakfast for the teaching staff as a special thank-you for all they do.
- Bless the Military and First Responders. If you see members of the military, police or fire department, take any and every opportunity to bless them. Thank them for their service or buy their meal at a restaurant. Show them the love of Christ.
- Bless Your Food Server. Churchgoers have earned the reputation of being ruder and less generous than other restaurant patrons. This should not be! When you are in a restaurant, be friendly and polite. Don’t just leave a gospel tract—leave a big tip!
- Pray Fervently. Above all, the power of prayer for your community, city, state and nation are the first line of defense. Consider joining an intercessory prayer group or start one yourself. Pray for those who are lost and for a great awakening in this nation!
When you make these 16 ways to become an involved Christian citizen a regular part of your life, you will answer the call of Jesus to be salt and light. Not only that, you will bless yourself in the process (Acts 20:35)! So, roll up your sleeves and take Jesus to the world!
Watch Kenneth Copeland and Bill Winston on the BVOV broadcast as they share how loving one another can open up the door of prosperity in your life.