Spiritual Growth: Learn
What Does God Say About the Words You Speak?
You’ve heard people say that the words you speak are important. You may even agree that it’s beneficial to your mental health to focus on the positive side of life instead of the negative. But what does God’s Word say about your words? Does the Bible instruct you to watch the words you speak closely? Here are seven scriptures that answer that question:
- “The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.” –Proverbs 18:21
- “Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble.” –Proverbs 21:23
- “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” –Ephesians 4:29
- “Kind words are like honey—sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.” –Proverbs 16:24
- “And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you.” –Matthew 12:36-37
- “Whatever is in your heart determines what you say.” –Matthew 12:34
- “I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, ‘May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart.” –Mark 11:23
Yes, the words you speak are important. Begin meditating on these verses and ask the Holy Spirit to direct you in how to apply their lessons to your life. Your future, success and happiness depend on it!