Spiritual Growth: Apply
21 Ways to Delight in the Lord
David was the expert.
He knew how to do it more than anyone we read about in the Bible.
…and he lived a life of great blessing because of it.
Royal, handsome and a fearless warrior, he never let pride keep him from the overwhelming presence of God that comes to those who DELIGHT in Him with all their heart, soul, mind and strength. And he lived out Psalm 37:4 to the fullest, which says, “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart” (ESV).
To delight yourself in something is to get great pleasure from it—and show it!
In 1 Chronicles 16:7-36, David delivered a psalm to the Lord in recognition of great victories he had experienced at the hand of God’s favor. In it, he listed many ways he chose to delight in the Lord.
We can take a cue from David and learn to delight in the Lord as he did. As a lover and seeker of Almighty God, you can learn to delight in the Lord like David and bless Him as He has blessed you. In doing so, you’ll put yourself in position to hear from Him more and receive from Him more.
Taken from David’s Psalm as well as elsewhere in Scripture—here is our list of 21 ways to delight in the Lord.
- Write your own personal psalm to Him.
- Dance before Him.
- Thank Him for the long list of things He’s done for you.
- Memorize scripture.
- Encourage someone.
- Sing to Him.
- Love those who are unkind to you.
- Find a way to serve a widow or orphan in your community.
- Read your Bible every morning.
- Listen to Him.
- Praise Him every day.
- Worship at home and in the car—not just at church.
- Listen to teachings to understand Him more.
- Try to please Him with every thought and word.
- Tell Him you love Him.
- Believe His promises.
- Love your spouse.
- Honor Him with your money (tithe and give).
- Put Him first—above family, friends, media.
- Guard your heart from social media, news, secular TV and magazines.
- Talk about what the Lord has done for you at every opportunity.
When you delight yourself in the Lord, not only will you bless Him and feel closer to Him, but His Word says that then He will give you the desires of your heart. Delighting yourself in the Alpha, Omega, First and Last, Beginning and End is not a one-time experience—it is a lifestyle! One you will never regret.
Watch Gloria and Kellie Copeland teach you how to receive the desires of your heart.