If you’ve struggled to lose weight and keep it off, you know it isn’t just as simple as trying the latest diet. Being fit and healthy is God’s will for you. So, don’t give up! Here are some tips from Dr. Don Colbert to help you lose weight God’s way.
1. Take back your temple.
God calls your physical body His temple (1 Corinthians 6:19), and He has given you stewardship over it. To do this, you must honor God with the decisions you make each day by choosing life-giving foods for your body and exercising.
2. Break food addiction for good.
Gluttony—or overeating—is sin. You can break food addiction with the help of the Holy Spirit. Lay poor food choices on the altar. Ask God for supernatural help to walk away from them and overcome addiction. Use the fruit of the spirit—self-control—and say no.
3. Watch Your Calories.
Dr. Colbert suggests 1,500 calories per day for women and 2,000 calories per day for men when trying to lose weight.
4. Renew your mind.
You may have grown up having dessert every day or in a house full of junk food. It may seem like a normal way of life to you. But if you really want to lose weight and become healthy for God’s service, you’ve got to renew your mind. Make a study of His Word part of your weight loss plan. When you begin to renew your mind to how God sees you, you won’t want to turn to food for comfort anymore.
5. Speak the Word over your weight loss.
- “I have bad genes—my whole family is overweight.”
- “Every time I lose weight, I just put it right back on.”
- “I just love junk food.”
- “No matter how hard I try, I just can’t lose weight.”
- “This is just who I am.”
- “I break every generational curse coming against my weight loss right now in the Name of Jesus!”
- “I am going to lose this weight for the glory of God!”
- “Thank You, God, that I am losing weight. Thank You that I’ve lost 5 pounds.”
- “I take authority over food addiction right now in Jesus’ Name!”
- “My body is the temple of God, and I commit to get it fit for work in His kingdom!”
6. Reduce sugar intake.
Dr. Don Colbert shared on a BVOV broadcast the dangers of sugar and its role as fuel for major diseases like cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer’s. It is also the main cause of weight gain in America!
7. Have your thyroid and other hormones checked. God has given us the blessing of wise counsel among His people. Dr. Colbert recommends having your thyroid and other hormones checked if you are having trouble losing weight. He strongly encourages believers to seek out a physician who will test all areas of the thyroid—especially the free T3—and not just use the basic thyroid test. He also recommends finding a doctor who will prescribe natural thyroid, such as Nature-Throid or Armour, as well as bioidentical hormones like estrogen, testosterone and progesterone, which are all connected to weight.
Disclaimer: You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. If you have any specific questions about any medical matter, you should consult your doctor or other professional health care provider. If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.
Are You Talking to Your Body?