This may surprise you, but you don’t have to defend your belief in biblical prosperity. Jesus said, “But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands”(Mark 10:30, KJV). But He didn’t stop there. He went on to say, “with persecutions.”
Sometimes taking a stand can open the door for criticism from other people. When this occurs, it is always appropriate to give a clear explanation of the biblical basis for your beliefs: “Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully” (1 Peter 3:15, AMPC).
Some verses that might be helpful to share, if you feel the leading of the Holy Spirit, are listed below.
• 3 John 2, (KJV): “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.”
• Joshua 1:8: “Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.”
• Psalm 1:1-3: “Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do.”
• Deuteronomy 8:18: “Remember the LORD your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath.”
• Proverbs 13:22: “Good people leave an inheritance to their grandchildren, but the sinner’s wealth passes to the godly.”
• Psalm 35:27 (NKJV): “Let them shout for joy and be glad, who favor my righteous cause; and let them say continually, ‘Let the LORD be magnified, who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant.’”
• Psalm 84:11: “For the LORD God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right.”
• Proverbs 10:22: “The blessing of the LORD makes a person rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.”
• Proverbs 13:21: “Trouble chases sinners, while blessings reward the righteous.”
You might also consider reading Gloria Copeland’s book, God’s Will Is Prosperity, as both a refresher for you and to help you feel prepared to explain why you believe what you do.
You can peacefully and respectfully give someone a reason for the hope that is in you without stirring up a debate that leads to strife. Choose to walk in love on purpose (Matthew 22:36-40; 2 Corinthians 12:20; Philippians 2:3; James 3:16). God’s will for us is prosperity.