How to Believe for an Unsaved Spouse
by Kenneth Copeland
Leave it to Jesus to answer with four words the questions that all the psychologists and marriage experts in the world can’t answer with a million. Leave it to Him to solve today’s complex problems with a scripture so simple even a child can understand it, and so broad it covers every possible situation, including believing for your unsaved spouse’s salvation—“Have faith in God” (Mark 11:22).
The person who bases his life on faith in God never has to change his lifestyle to suit the times or even to have a successful marriage. Faith in God never changes because God never changes. He’s the same yesterday, today and forever! Here are three keys to believing for your unsaved spouse.
1. Stand for Your Unsaved Spouse by Trusting in the Word
If you are trusting God to draw your loved one to a saving knowledge of Him, then first put your faith in His WORD. Understand that to have faith in God is to have faith in His WORD. The two can’t be separated—they are one, which means you need to discover what The WORD says and then believe it. For instance, it says:
- And when that time comes, you will ask nothing of Me [you will need to ask Me no questions]. I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, that My Father will grant you whatever you ask in My Name [as presenting all that I Am]. (John 16:23)
- For this reason I am telling you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe (trust and be confident) that it is granted to you, and you will [get it]. (Mark 11:24)
2. Stand for Your Unsaved Spouse by Trusting in God’s Love
Since “God is love,” to have faith in God, you must have faith in love. You must believe in the love God has for you and your spouse. It’s the same love that draws every believer to Him (John 6:44). No one is beyond God’s love. The LORD wants your spouse saved even more than you do—trust that.
And as you trust in God’s love for your spouse, commit to extend God’s love to your spouse. Love him (or her) without nagging or complaining about their lack of faith. Instead, show them the fruit of the spirit—“love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23). Then have confidence that when you keep His command to “love one another,” you’ll be blessed as a result (1 John 4:8, 11).
3. Stand for Your Unsaved Spouse by Having Faith in God’s Light
The Bible not only says, “God is love,” it also says, “God is light” (1 John 1:5). Therefore, having faith in God is having faith in light. That means you believe:
- "There is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known." (Luke 12:2)
- "The Spirit of truth...will guide [your spouse] into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come." (John 16:13)
When you have faith in light, you can rest assured that everything you need to know to triumph in your marriage will be revealed to you. You can be confident that the devil can’t hide anything from you to keep you or your spouse in bondage and under the curse. You know that because you’re a child of the light, the wisdom of God is inside you.
Build your faith in the light by taking His words and saying, “I believe hidden things will be revealed to me and my spouse. I believe the Holy Spirit guides us into all truth and shows us things to come. We walk in the light and don’t stumble over anything.”
Faith comes by hearing the WORD, so as those words come out of your mouth and into your ears and your mind, they’ll produce faith in your heart.
Put these steps to work—trust in God, His WORD, His Love and His Light. If you need help finding scriptures for your situation, then read the article Scriptures to Stand on for a Spouse’s Salvation. Continue to speak those scriptures over yourself and your spouse. Salvation is ultimately each individual’s decision before God, but with faith you can make sure the blinders come off your spouse so they can have their eyes opened to the same Truth you’ve received!