Meditate on the Word to Battle Stress
How is your stress-ometer? Feeling cool, calm and collected? Or are you hitting the red zone that signals that you are overloaded? If that’s you, then one of the best strategies you can employ to defeat stress is meditating on the Word of God.
How do you do meditate on the Word successfully? It’s easy. Simply find a scripture that pertains to your situation. If one doesn’t come to mind, ask the Holy Spirit to help you. He may bring one to mind, or He may draw your attention to one as you read the Word during your daily Bible reading and study time. Once you have one, spend time reading it in context and in the original text. Think about the verse and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal its meaning to you. This isn’t a quick process. It may take days and even weeks for the Lord to minister the scripture’s meaning and revelation to you. You may also want to write the verse down and/or post it where you can see it—your computer, tablet or smartphone home screens; your bathroom mirror; your car dashboard; your refrigerator door; or your desk/locker at work. Over time, the Holy Spirit will begin to minister to you about that Word.
If you still struggle to find a verse with which to battle stress, here are five to get you started:
- “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” –Philippians 4:8
- “And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” –Philippians 4:19
- “Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.” –Proverbs 3:6
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” –Jeremiah 29:11
- “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” –Isaiah 41:10
Receive the help you need to defeat stress as you let God’s Word calm you, encourage you and equip you for all He calls you to do!